Norton Safeweb

Monday, March 28, 2011

I'll stop complaining about $300 Napa Cabernet now

Well, I'll stop complaining for a little while anyway.

Admittedly I'm Northern California-centric when it comes to my wine knowledge and preferences.  Most of my very limited knowledge on Old World wines is picked up from the occasional tidbit in a wine forum or a wine magazine.   I've heard rumblings for a few years about Bordeaux prices, but had no idea.  The last time I paid attention they were running about 150 bucks.

Having just started a subscription for the Wine Spectator magazine to expand my horizons the April 30, 2011 issue shows up in the mailbox.  It has reviews for several high-end French wines.  Here are a few from that issue. I hope you're sitting down.

The first one that caught my attention was a Chateau Ausone St.-Emilion that got 94 points.  A great rating.  All that for $1,200.  No, that's for a bottle.  And that's not even from the fancy part of Bordeaux.   With more reading I came up with a couple more examples.


Image from
www.cave-des-grands-vins.com
Chateau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac for $2,000 and Chateau Petrus Pomerol for $3,000.  Wine Spectator called the Petrus "gorgeous, silky and lovely."   I freakin' hope so!

Interestingly, you can find wines in the $25 range mixed in with these in the ratings.  Yes, Rothschild and Petrus are highly sought after wines so it's supply and demand.

In early March I was out tasting on a local special event weekend, the Russian River Barrel Tasting, and recall one excellent Cabernet from a tiny winery named Krutz.  I was thinking after I sampled the wine, "Wow.  Really good!  But 75 bucks?"   

I feel like such a cheap bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment