From a poll sponsored by an Australian marketing firm looking at Australians, Canadians and Americans they found all three countries had the same reasons for not choosing wine as their adult beverage of choice.
- They don't know how to choose a wine. Yeah, it's pretty complicated.
- They don't have friends that drink wine. Because they want to share? Or does it go back to the bullet above? That is, their friends also find it difficult to choose a wine off of a shelf.
- The varieties of grapes used
- Where the grapes are from as in country, state, region, appellation, then vineyard, as applicable.
- In regards to certain wines, especially Riesling and Gewurztraminer, the level of sweetness.
Another survey, put on by One Poll, looked at wine reviews. It found that over half of the people thought the descriptions from reviewers didn't help them in selecting a wine while nearly half said they were pompous. So there you go.
It's about knowing audience and it shouldn't be just the wine geeks. Keep it simple for the non-geeks among us because they could be new customers.