Norton Safeweb

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Well, Napa has gotten expensive!

Okay, so maybe that's not a hot news flash. But things haven't cooled off with the recession apparently.

I recently stopped by a winery I used to work  for in Calistoga. It's a medium-sized operation of mid-range wines and is open to the public. Five years ago we charged ten bucks to taste. On weekends we often had a reserve tasting in a separate room for twenty. And the 45 minute tour was free.

Well, it ain't that way anymore!  The standard tasting is $20. A reserve tasting at the bar is $35 for three wines. That's three for thirty-five. Tours? Twenty dollars including two tastes. Whoa.

When I mentioned where I work now is ten dollars (to taste more wines btw) and it's refunded if you purchase the reply, half as a joke, was, "Well, you're over there (Sonoma) and we're Napa!"

I guess they are more interested in selling the experience than the wine.

2 comments:

  1. Sad, but so true. I went tasting in Sonoma a couple months ago, and only paid for one tasting - $5 for 6 wines! If I had bought a bottle, the tasting would have comped but I just wasn't a fan. The focus was definitely more on the enjoyment of the wine--and a far cry from being a pricey tourist trap.

    Depending on where you go, Napa can be pretentious and you could spend a fortune in tasting fees even if you do buy some wine. My advice? Stay off Highway 29 and seek out the small boutique producers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Check out my blog www.sipswirlsavor.blogspot.comb for wine tasting recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete