Norton Safeweb

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Aging wine is a crapshoot

Supposedly 90% of us drink a bottle of wine on the same day we purchased it. Typically you stop at the market on Friday after work to pick up dinner and a wine to go with it. I think these people are on to something.

Last night's routine went like this:

Pulled out a 1993 Dry Creek Vineyards Reserve Cabernet. Okay, I had a real good idea this one was over-the-hill. It was. Past being enjoyable to drink. Down the drain. I bet this wine was really good ten years ago.

Next a 2006 Lake Sonoma Dry Creek Zinfandel. Corked. Ugh. Of course, if I'd bought this wine yesterday at the market I could just take it back.

Third was a 2005 Kenwood Vineyards Jack London Ranch Zinfandel. Not terrible, but I'd guess two or three years past its prime. I managed a glass of this before dumping the rest.

Almost a "perfect" oh-for-three. I don't know why I do this to myself.   LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment