The survey sampled occasional and frequent wine drinkers with a fairly equal split across generations.
The survey was put together by the Wine Business Institute of Sonoma State University.
The highlights are:
- Top varieties consumed are Chardonnay and Merlot followed by White Zinfandel.
- People in the survey are looking for fruity, slightly sweet-tasting wine.
- They drink wine for its pleasing taste, but use it to help them relax and socialize.
- When selecting a wine price and the brand are most important--more important than the variety.
- They buy their wines at a wine shop or grocery store.
- Misc: Wine drinkers are fairly well off, have smart phones, and use Facebook. This info helps wine marketers.
Article from winebusiness.com