Norton Safeweb

Friday, March 25, 2016

The Second Cheapest Wine Principle

I thought I was the only one that did this, but it turns out it's a thing.

When selecting wine from an unfamiliar wine list, whether it's a bottle for dinner, or a glass at a wine bar, how do you select the right wine? If you're rich I suppose you can just get the most expensive (and probably the most overpriced) wine. If you're cheap like me you go a different route. I never want the least expensive one figuring it must be the worse wine on the list, right? Plus I figure it makes me look cheap. So I get the second cheapest.This way of selecting a wine has a name now: The Second Cheapest Wine Principle.
image from winebusiness.com

I recently came across an article by some folks that tested this theory in NYC. 

Article from Punchdrink.com

There's some interesting insight into what some restaurants do knowing this happens.