Norton Safeweb

Friday, March 25, 2016

The Second Cheapest Wine Principle

I thought I was the only one that did this, but it turns out it's a thing.

When selecting wine from an unfamiliar wine list, whether it's a bottle for dinner, or a glass at a wine bar, how do you select the right wine? If you're rich I suppose you can just get the most expensive (and probably the most overpriced) wine. If you're cheap like me you go a different route. I never want the least expensive one figuring it must be the worse wine on the list, right? Plus I figure it makes me look cheap. So I get the second cheapest.This way of selecting a wine has a name now: The Second Cheapest Wine Principle.
image from winebusiness.com

I recently came across an article by some folks that tested this theory in NYC. 

Article from Punchdrink.com

There's some interesting insight into what some restaurants do knowing this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment